Photography is both a science and an art.
These days, Photography is fast emerging as a popular career choice among all the age groups. With the boom in advertising, media and the fashion industry, photography has emerged as a lucrative and thrilling career option. Until some years ago people regarded photography as a hobby only, but now it has emerged in a big way.
These days, many schools offer photography at the 10+2 stage as a vocational subject. There are no specific academic requirements for the full time courses in photography; however, candidates who have cleared the 10+2 exam are eligible for the diploma/ certificate courses in photography.
The career scope and job prospects of photography is immense and some notable ones among them are as follows:
- Press Photographers/photojournalists: Photojournalists supply pictures to the national and global press. This career role demands an ability to photograph all kinds of newsworthy people, places, sports, political, and community events for newspapers, journals, magazines, or television.
- Feature Photographers:Feature photography involves describing a story through pictures and hence requires a thorough knowledge of the subject. Many photographers specialize in the photography of wildlife, sports travel, environment etc.
- Commercial Photographers/ Industrial photographers: Industrial photographers takes pictures of merchandise, exteriors and interiors of factories, and machinery both indoors and outdoors to be used for company brochures, annual reports, and in advertising and selling.
- Portrait and Wedding Photographers: They handle subjects like pets, children, families, weddings, anniversaries, functions, activities social clubs, etc.
- Advertising Photographers: They are connected with the photographic departments of advertising agencies, photographic studios. Here the photographers are mostly freelancers. Advertising photography is the best-paid and most competitive branch of all.
- Fashion Photographers:This involves highly sophisticated and well-equipped studio who hires freelancers and are commissioned by fashion houses of advertising agencies.
- Scientific Photographer: They typically possess additional knowledge in areas such as engineering, medicine, biology, or chemistry which assist them in photographing a range of subject-related objects or scientific phenomena. One can either work with news reporters or work as free-lancers on independent assignments on environment, wild life and other allied fields.
In case you want to apply for a similar course, here is the list of some of the top colleges and institutions in India that provides Photography courses :
Film and Television Institute of India – Pune
Mass Communication Research Centre (MCRC), Jamia University New Delhi
University of Delhi Delhi
Asian Academy of Film & Television Noida
Academy for photographic excellence New Delhi
Sir Aurobindo Institute Of Mass Communication New Delhi
YMCA Centre for Mass Media New Delhi
Institute of Mass Communication Manipal
International Institute of Mass Media New Delhi